Translate

Monday 6 March 2017

Anniversay Tag

Hi everyone,

it's my second wedding anniversary next week and as we're heading off to Carcassonne in France at the weekend to celebrate, I had to set to last Sunday to get my anniversary tag finished. 

My partner and I don't exchange presents on our anniversary. We decided when we got married that we would go away for a long weekends instead. The choice of venue is dictated by what the traditional present would be for that year of marriage e.g. paper is the traditional gift for a first wedding anniversary, so last year we had to choose somewhere abroad that began with the letter P......we headed off to Paris. 

This year being our second anniversary (cotton therefor C) we chose Carcassonne.

Neither do we buy cards, we either make each other a card or a tag. I know my partner is making a card for me this year but I decided to make a tag and here it is........


I wanted to try out a technique that Tammy Tutterow used on her Satin Damask Tag (the link is here for Tammy's step by step tutorial:  http://tammytutterow.com/2013/11/satin-damask-background/ )

I worked on a size 8 manilla tag and chose Dusty Concord DI to give it and my seam binding a gorgeous wash of colour.  A vintage flourish stamp (A Darkroom Door stamp, I think) was the image I chose for embossing with Stampendous clear detail embossing powder. 

Finally, I gave the tag a wash of Picket Fence DS to knock back the intense colour on the un-embossed areas of the tag, then spritzed gently with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist, before doing 2nd generation stamping randomly over the entire tag with a Stampers Anonymous text stamp in the same Dusty Concord DI. Using  a dry cloth I gently wiped the stamped text from the embossed areas so that it only remained on the un-embossed areas of the tag.



Using a couple of ephemera pieces (TH Thrift Shop) I shaded both with the Dusty Concord DI using a blending tool and then coated  both in Picket Fence DS to soften the colour.



Next using ribbon and lace from my stash I edged the LHS of the tag by sewing them both into place with a single line of white stitching, catching my ephemera pieces at the same time.


Anyone who follows my blog will know that I love working with hearts. 

For this tag I draw a freehand heart on cream cardstock,  stamped it with text and shaded it with Dusty Concord DI.  Once again I knocked back the intensity of the colour with Picket Fence DS. 

A small strip of delicate lace was stitched down the centre of the heart. It was also edged on one side and along the top with cream coloured vintage lace. This was initially held in place with double sided tape but then overstitched with white machine stitching.




Using TH Remnant Rubs (numerals) I added the date of our wedding to a tiny piece of background paper before fixing it into place in an Idea-ology heart.




I found that my last TH Idea-ology monocle had broken glass when I came to use it, so I had to improvise by cutting a circle from the packaging which I glued it into place with Glossy Accents. Again I used TH Remnant Rubs numerals to create the '2nd' on the new  'glass' before sealing it into place with a coat of Glossy Accents... Surprisingly it worked really well.   Providing there aren't any bubbles it looks just as good as the glass.

The little heart and the monocle were joined together on a jump ring which was threaded through the ribbon of a triple bow. To get a blend of colour I used the dyed seam binding together with a piece of SU taffeta ribbon.  These were tied around by tag but under the heart. Once in place, I cut away that part of the heart that hang over the LH edge of my tag.



Finally I doted a few TH Remnant Rubs words around my tag, choosing the words 'eternal moments' at the top, 'forever', 'together' and a couple of stars on the heart and finally the word 'love' to one side of the bow.



More SU taffeta ribbon topped off my tag through with I threaded a tiny key. As there are plenty of references to the date on this tag,  I decided not to use a picture anchor to detail the date that I made the tag but I did back my tag with black card as usual.

I need a little more practise at Tammy's background technique.... using Picket Fence didn't quite give the same background finish that Tammy seemed to get in her tutorial. Tammy used Picket Fence DP but not having any in my stash I though DS would do the trick... yes, it did to a certain extent but it didn't wipe off the embossed image quite as well as DP would. OK, Picket Fence DP is now added to my shopping list....lol.

Overall I'm pleased with my anniversary tag and knowing my partner, I am sure it will be received well.  If nothing else it gave me an afternoon of fun in the craft room, so smiles all round here.

Have a wonderful week and hope you find time to craft.


Carol. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment